Cell Phone Policy
CELL PHONE/iWATCHES/ELECTRONICS POLICY 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
In order to preserve the teaching and learning environment, this document is to clarify the cell phone/iWatch/electronic devices policy for PS 178 Magnet School of Multimedia Arts & Design. Cell phones and electronic devices may serve as an outstanding instructional tool and learning resource, if used appropriately. We encourage our staff members and our students to use electronics and other 21st century devices to supplement instruction and learning. Cell phones, iWatches, and electronic devices may only be used during instructional hours at teacher discretion. Any unauthorized use of electronic devices/iWatches/cell phones will result in disciplinary action.
- Cell phones/iWatches/electronic devices must be turned OFF once you enter PS 178 Magnet School of Multimedia Arts & Design. Students may power their phones or watches ON at the request of PS 178 staff.
- Once inside PS 178, students must store their cell phone/iWatch/electronic device in a location that is not visible to the teacher or other students, even though they are OFF.
- If a cell phone/iWatch/electronic device rings, vibrates, or is used for any reason without PS 178 staff permission, or is visible anytime during the school day, without staff permission, a staff member may confiscate the device.
- Cell phones/electronic devices may only be used for educational purposes. If a student wishes to use their device for non-educational purposes, they may do so only with the permission of PS 178 staff.
- Cell phones/iWatches/electronic devices may be turned ON after dismissal: 2:40pm.
- PS 178 cell phone/iWatch/electronic device policy extends to lunchtime/assemblies/after-school/summer school/all academies and extracurricular activities.
First Offense ~ If a student is found to have used a cell phone, iWatch or electronic device without authorization, the phone, watch or device will be confiscated by the staff member and given to an administrator or the dean. The student will call the parent/guardian along with the dean, and the device will be returned, at the end of the school day, along with a notice of first offense violation signed by the student.
Second Offense ~ The phone or device will be confiscated, the parent/guardian will be called by the student along with the dean, and the student will serve one day lunch or after-school detention. The device will be returned to the parent/guardian at the conclusion of a conference between parent and the dean. A second offense violation notice will be given for the student and parent/guardian to sign.
Third Offense ~ The phone or device will be confiscated, the parent/guardian will be called by the student along with the dean; however, the student will be suspended (In-School) for three (3) days for insubordination. A parent conference will be arranged after the suspension with administration to allow the student to be readmitted back into class and the cell phone, watch or device will be returned after the conference to the parent.
Failure to relinquish the cell phone, iWatch or electronic device to a requesting staff member will result in a one (1) day In-School Suspension regardless to which number offense. Failure to relinquish the cell phone, iWatch or electronic device to an administrator will result in a three (3) day Out of School Suspension regardless to which number offense.
This policy is designed to protect the educational program of all students but not to limit home/school communication. A student may be given permission to use an administrative office telephone to contact a parent/guardian. In the case of an emergency, please call the Parent Coordinator: Ms. Vasquez at (718) 904-5570 ext. 21082 to leave a message that will be given to your child.
Due to the evolving nature of emerging technologies, additional rules and regulations may be added throughout the school year.
The staff of Magnet School of Multimedia Arts & Design request your FULL cooperation with our policy.
Yours in Education, Principal Schwanna Ellman